Monday, August 24, 2009

Oh... you're in "THAT" class..

I am recently working as a lab student in a school. When I found out where my lab placement was I was super excited because it is at a great school. I walked into my first grade classroom and the students where so cute, I couldn't wait to teach them! I thought this semester's lab experience was going to be an amazing time. It wasn't long before all of that changed.
I was speaking with the cooperating teacher about all of the things we were to get done in this semester. She then said "I just want to let you know now; this is the inclusion class. This is the toughest class I've taught in all of my 16 years. I don't want you to get discouraged if your lessons don't go as well as your peers'. This is a challenge for me each and every day."
I have never worked with special needs students before. It really made me think about how lazy I was being, looking forward to my "easy semester". I am excited more than ever now. I feel that this experience will not only be challenging, but really help prepare me for my future career as a teacher. Instead of looking forward to an easy semester, I am looking forward to getting to know these amazing children, and learning from them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment