Thursday, August 20, 2009

Becoming A Teacher...

I'm in my final year of college and I will soon be on my way to teaching at an elementary school. I am excited more than ever about becoming a teacher and having my own classroom and students to teach. My thoughts go back to what made me choose this major in the first place. It was in my sophomore year and I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do with my life.I knew that wanted to do something that I enjoyed, but didn't know exactly what that was. When I was younger, I told my sister how I wanted to be a teacher and she replied "You don't want to do that, kids will vomit and you will have to clean it up!" Because I looked up to her, I took her word for it and decided that wasn't what I wanted to do. Given that she was young when she said it, I'll forgive her now for trying to keep me from what I absolutely love to do now. Back on the subject of choosing a major, I had gone back and forth between majors and was frantic searching for something that was just for me. For some reason, I felt called into elementary education. Heaven knows it wasn't my family; my mother was concerned I wouldn't earn the living I had hoped for and my sister, well, she was just worried about children vomiting! For whatever reason I felt called into education, I decided to go with it. Little did I know then that I would be sitting here today, planning my senior year and excited more than ever to get out into the work field! One of my biggest fears as a college student was that I would work hard for four years earning a degree and then dread going to work every day for the next 30 or so years. I am so fortunate that I came to a school where the education program is excellent. I got to gain experiences with teaching even before I was admitted into the program. I found quickly that I love working with children more than I could have imagined. In fact, there isn't a part of teaching that I'm not excited about (except for sick children of course, thank you dear sister). I know there will be tough times to come, but I think that teaching is a challenging and rewarding job. That is just what I need!

No comments:

Post a Comment